Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The All Star Game

I have 2 main issues to address with the all star game

1) The first is that I can't really believe that this game means something for the season--especially something as important as home field advantage. I don't believe there should be so much on the line, but if you Bud Selig felt it was a must, I could go with it. But then remove the fans from the voting!! If Josh Hamilton is gonna start and Manny is coming close to making a team, then something is wrong. As great as those players are, they don't deserve it and they shouldn't be representing their league with something important on the line after injuries or suspensions.

2) The other problem I have with the All Star game is that players can't re-enter the game and managers feel obligated to play all players. Ok I don't like the system, but we can't change it right now, we can only adapt accordingly. So I'm Joe maddon and I'm coaching the AL team and I see that tim Wakefield is on my squad. Honestly, (I hate the guy Im a Yankees Fan), but seriously as good a year as he is having, he cannot play in the game. Sentimental old time baseball fans will say something like, "He's been a good pitcher for a long time and his time has finally come and he deserves to be in the game and be in the spotlight for once." Well I agree he is having his best year ever, but since this game means something and I want to win, I want Halladay for 2 innings followed by Beckett for 2 innings followed by Greinke for 2 innings and then I want Papelbon, Nathan, and Rivera. No ifs ands or buts about it. I want to win and no one else deserves to grace the field. For my offense, Mauer should never sit down, period. these are things that won't happen but are automatics if you give 2 shits about the game, and give the current system--you must. As a yankee fan I see the world series as a possibility and given that the dodgers are a scary opponent, I want every advantage I can get. To have 4/7 games at home vs them is HUGE and im not letting some sentimental attachment to tim wakefield blow my chances at a ring.

I also think there should be re-entry. Players like Albert Pujols and Chase Utley will be removed early in the game and it strikes me as odd that in a 1 run game in the 9th inning when Rivera is trying to close this one down for the AL, we are going to see Orlando Hudson? Good player, but not worth staying up till 11pm to watch. I want the exciting "this never happens and these are the best two in the game" matchup, not 2 random players. get it straight MLB! People wonder why the NFL is surpassing the MLB in ratings and in US attention, I can tell ya, Bud Selig. Baseball is a great game, so Selig get off your knees cause your blowing this game for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment